Bison Burgers with Bacon Chutney
Yogi and I made these bison burgers with bacon chutney the other night. I absolutely LOVE bacon. Probably one of my favorite things ever. Its like candy. Yum.
The ground bison is from Hills Foods. They have an amazing selection of wild game! I picked up a 5lbs case of bison last week and it’s already almost gone. Hills Foods has been super supportive of West Coast Paleo and has now created some delcious Paleo Packs! Make sure to check them out online!
Ingredients for the burgers
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- Super-Food Mix *
*pre-made super-food mix – consisting of equal parts: chia seeds, ground flax seed and psyllium husks*
Ingredients For the chutney
- 5-6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- pinch of salt
Method for Burgers
1. Add all indridents in a big bowl, use your (clean) hands to gently mix them in with the ground bison, and add everything else. Just gently fold it until the garlic,sage,eggs, super food mix, salt and pepper are well mixed in.
Form patties with the meat, using about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound of meat per patty. Here’s a tip on making the patty: if you press a slight indentation in the center of each patty it will help keep the burgers in a nice disk shape when cooking. Otherwise the burger will start to get a little egg-shaped as the edges contract from cooking.
4 Grill or fry the burgers on medium heat, about 6-7 minutes per side, less or more depending on the thickness of the burger and the heat of the pan/grill, or until the internal temperature is 140°F for medium rare, or 160°F for well done. A note on internal temperature. Don’t press on your burgers while cooking, and keep the flipping to a minimum. Let the burgers rest about 5 minutes before serving.
Method for Chutney
1. Place large skillet under medium heat cook bacon. Remove and set aside when done cooking
2. Add your diced onion to your bacon pan and cook down until translucent.
3.Add your apple and mix with onion and cover to let cook for 4-5 minutes